Based on this one of several outcomes may occur including:
- Dismissing the appeal (in which the original conviction / sentence applies)
- Remitting the matter back for a retrial
- Quashing the verdict and giving an acquittal verdict (in which the defendant is not guilty)
- Directing that there be no retrial without directing a verdict of acquittal
- Substituting a verdict of guilty of a different offence where the jury must have found an accused guilty of that other offence
- And, in exceptional circumstances, setting aside the conviction and entering a verdict of not guilty but insane
Unfortunately, as a family member you will have little power over what occurs in, and the outcome of an appeal hearing. We recommend contacting QHVSG for support and information during this time.